Neighbourhood Support across Wairarapa
Statement of purpose
Neighbourhood Support is based on the concept that strong neighbourhoods encourage members to support each other and enjoy living in their locality. Neighbourhoods that are strongly connected are also resilient in times of adversity.
To establish and communicate regularly with Neighbourhood Support groups in rural and urban areas across Wairarapa. The benefits will be :
- Connection among neighbours, between neighbourhoods and areas, thus enhancing the enjoyment and safety of living in the Wairarapa
- Accumulation of contact data for all members of neighbourhood support groups throughout the Wairarapa which may be used during a time of civil emergency.
- Effective Neighbourhood Support across Wairarapa offers the opportunity for a cohesive response to a region wide civil emergency
- Irrespective of possible changes to the political landscape in Wairarapa, the region is confined by physical constraints and in the event of a major civil emergency, a positive response will be dependent on the resilience of its people. Neighbourhood Support offers each region within the Wairarapa an opportunity to develop closer ties among the people in its region and enhanced understanding of the challenges and strengths of each region.
- Neighbourhood Support is a proven vehicle for delivery of increased safety in neighbourhoods. It is also a vehicle which promotes a sense of well-being amongst the residents of each community.
If you would like to start up a group in your street ring one of the Neighbourhood Support Staff listed below. If you are a Carterton resident then please contact the Carterton District Council and ask for Sue Tennant.